Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

Juno Hair - Review

Today I decided to get my hair cut. I've been meaning to get my hair cut for a while now since I have a lot of split ends. I haven't been taking care of my hair very well - and never have. I only really bother with shampoo!

Taking on the advice of Simon and Martina, I decided to pay a visit to Juno Hair. Thankfully they did have someone who spoke English there to consult our options.

My purpose of visiting Juno Hair was simply to get my hair cut. However, something I've noticed about hair salons in Asia in particular, is that people don't just go into hair salons for a simple hair cut. Usually people go to get treatments done, their hair dyed and all the other time consuming hair procedures that these places offer.

The hair stylist we talked to was pushy to say the least. While Brigritte and I both knew our hair was damaged, we weren't really there to get it treated. I personally don't like getting my hair treated at the salon for several reasons.

{ 1 } I hate small talk. While my part time job sometimes does require to make small talk with customers, I've learnt a couple of lines I can use. However, I'm not comfortable talking to people who are serving me. I don't mean it in a snobbish way or anything, don't get me wrong. I just feel that I'm a boring person and I'm just awkward.
{ 2 } I have little patience and a very short attention span. Sitting for a few hours at a salon with nothing to do but read or talk to the hair stylists and assistant hair stylists is not my idea of fun.
{ 3 } They're expensive. At Juno they're especially expensive I feel. Although these feelings are unfair since I'm comparing across China, Australia and Korea rather than relative to Korea, it's not a sum of money I'm willing to pay.

Hence I didn't want a treatment or dye. Brigritte wasn't interested in them either. When we told the stylist this, you could visibly see her mood change.

And it affected the way she cut our hair.

I came in with a photo for reference:


However the photo wasn't for an exact reference. I wanted an example of the style I wanted - longer layers instead of short, and thinned out under layers.

Due to the fact that she said all this, I assumed that she was going to cut my hair the way I wanted it.

Boy was I wrong.

I think she spent a total of 10 minutes cutting my hair before calling over an assistant hair stylist to blow dry my hair. She trimmed my hair by running her scissors across horizontally and "evened" out the ends by shearing a few sections of hair. She didn't touch my overgrown fringe whatsoever or the top few layers of my hair.

The result reminds me of Rachel's hair in Season 3 of Friends. Even I could cut my hair like this, if not even better.

While the hair stylist herself was less than professional to say the least, everyone else who served me was completely lovely. The assistant who washed my hair attempted to make small talk with me which was extremely sweet and was very patient with my beginner Korean. The girl who blow dried my hair didn't speak to me, but she did put quite a bit of effort into making the hair stylist's shabby hair cut as attractive as possible.

I had specifically asked her to cut my hair a certain way, and in no way did she deliver. In my opinion, it was completely unacceptable from her service, skill and her attitude.

However, it did only cost us 20,000 KRW (roughly $20 AUD) so I'll just treat it as a cheap haircut you get from a dodgy looking Asian hairdresser in Box Hill.


The Lesson? Either get your hair treated and have a hair cut as a side dish, or cut it yourself. I think this experience at the hair dresser is definitely the final nail in the coffin. I'll continue to cut my own hair from now on, thank you very much!

No comments: